Saturday, December 11, 2010

40 THINGS 2011 - IT CONTINUES

When I started the 40 Things to do in Corpus Christi idea, who would have known it would become what it has? The Caller-Times Column, the Facebook page, the analysis.

I believe the interest speaks not only about people’s desire to know what’s going on, but also about the need for honest discussion about the city, our quality of life and the ‘whys’ and ‘why nots’ of it all. This goes directly to the initial goal of the page: to use the answers to those questions to make the city better. Doing the 40 things, I’ve learned more about Corpus Christi this year than I thought I could. I have theories about why the city doesn’t grow and why we seem stuck with a lack of ‘things to do,’ but we’re not even close to having anything figured out.

In 2011 I will continue what I've started with some modifications/enhancements.

--I will not physically be doing 40 new things due to the time commitment; that was the 2010 kick start. Instead, I will be doing 20 new things I’ve never done in 2011 and I want you to do them with me. This will force me to get creative and help tell stories that need to be told. I will need your help to create this list.

--I will continue to post and highlight interesting events that are off the original 40 and new list of 20 on the Facebook page.

--I will attempt a ‘REAL’ 365 Things to do in CC list. ‘Real’ instead of advertiser-driven or robot-created or coupon-driven nonsense sites which have popped up (and failed) throughout 2010. These will be posted daily (time permitting), one per day. I will require your help to fill this list out.

--I want the fans of the site to step up and attend more things. Report and critique the things you go do. Go to more things and take your friends.

--I want to encourage you to create more things. 40 of them in fact. In 2011, the fans of this page will create 40 new things to do in Corpus Christi

--I want to promote deeper analysis and discussion of why we do and don’t do the things we do here so get your brain ready.

--The goal will be 10,000 fans on the Facebook page by year-end 2011 and I hope the content here will encourage you to get your friends on the page.

One more note, as other sites emerge the need to highlight events here is diminishing. I think you should add Caller Entertainment to your feed. Sarah Acosta is doing a great job there highlighting the music scene almost daily as well as other events. You should also add The Coastal Wave. Their website is the most comprehensive of all things to do locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment