Monday, June 16, 2008

JOE LOSES 22 LBS...III(?)

One thing I'm inclined to say over and over (especially on the air) is the phrase "In case you're new to the show." There is an on-air necessity to say this, or at least talk to new listeners to shepherd them into the fold. On this blog I won't do that...much.

In case you're new to the show, one thing that pops up again and again is my desire to lose a few pounds. Long long long time listeners enjoy needling me via email about my repeated 'failure' when it comes to this.

A brief history: Three new years ago I began an on-air weight loss/fitness program with Wade Spence who owns Platypus Fitness at Airline and Alameda. Of course, the plan was simply diet and exercise. Wade hooked me up to a fancy mask and computer thing and I did some cardio which determined my ideal cardio heart rate for burning fat. I did a South Beach-type diet and went walking/running about 4 times a week and dropped about 18 lbs over 8 weeks.

Fast forward a year to this past new years. The weight was back and it was time once again to do something about it so I talked to the manager of the new Gold's Gym who was quick to offer a trainer and free membership to do it all again on the air. Well two weeks into it that guy was fired (for giving away a lot of free stuff) and that all went away as did my motivation to lose the weight.

So here I go again. I have joined an (unmentioned) gym and I'm back at it. I will do updates on here, but probably not on air since that's getting boring. The amount of weight to lose is still 22 lbs. That is my stasis--22 extra lbs. of goo. Curse the people whose natural metabolism keeps them fit and trim. My natural metabolism has me 22 lbs. overweight. When I'm exercising/eating well the weight slowly goes away. When I quit it comes back and plateus at 22 lbs heavy.

I'm doing my own thing of exercising about 4 times a week and doing some weight training. I've been doing that consistently for 2 weeks now and have dropped 3.4 lbs. (which puts me at +18.6)

I've heard one bit of advice recently that I've taken to heart which is that while losing 20 lbs seems daunting, 2 lbs a week is easy. Just repeat for 10 weeks (or whatever it is you need to get to your goal). So this is my new method. I'll update you from to time to time as milestones are met.

No comments:

Post a Comment