Monday, November 30, 2009

A RADIO HOST WALKS OFF HIS SHOW...


I'm a levelheaded guy. My closest friends accuse me of having zero temper (as if that's a deficiency). So what got me so disgusted that I walked off the show this past Saturday?

My impassioned Facebook post just minutes after the show got plenty of people asking me "What happened?". My reply was brief and to the point: "What? You weren't listening?" with a furrowed brow. And in case you can't see my brow...the furrow is an indictment.

The show is a destination, and you pay when you don't listen. Guaranteed. "But I was out of town for Thanksgiving!" The new show is more important than Aunt Judy. Thanksgiving is in CC next year or you drive back Friday night or you set up your boombox with a Christmas tree timer. I'd tell you to listen in on your computer, but that's 'too Austin' for our city.

For those of you that were listening (lucky!), it's up to you if you'd like to spread the details. You hold valuable information.

I'm going the archaic route. You snoozed? You losed.

Rather, you can infer plenty by rereading my initial thoughts on the new show here. And to further get you thinking, I'll repost the new rules of the new show (with minor revisions):

A CONSISTENT, DEDICATED PRODUCER
Who is the producer of this show? No one knows yet. Whoever it is, they must commit this one hour to create the most creative, most entertaining talk radio in town. All in!

NO CANNED MUSIC
The music readily available for bumps comes out of a safe, 'classic rock-y' rotation. Joe demands his producer NOT use this rotation. It is boring, antiseptic and does not differentiate the show. All music used on my show will be either a) relevant to the content of the segment or b) something interesting in the alt rock or classic rock vein LYRICS INTACT. Every element of the show must have purpose.

JOE'S ARRAY
I require my own dedicated computer space for sound effects and music. It's time.


And, again, if you weren't listening this Saturday, shame on you. Your penance is to get 5 new people to listen this weekend. Hope that there are screw ups so I can show my closest friends what happens when I demand excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment